Friday, September 16, 2011

Warrior Prayers Day 12

Today Brooke shares some insights given by author Laura Lee Groves, "I'm Outnumbered! One Mom's Lessons in the Lively Art of Raising Boys".  Sounds like she and I could be great friends.  I am also outnumbered in my home.  I always thought I would have both boys and girls.  Funny how my sister has three girls and I have the boys.  I had no idea what to do with my first son.  In fact I remember a conversation with my cousin when I was pregnant that I did not have any idea of how to raise a boy.  Well, now I have two and am so thankful for both of them.  They are funny, energetic, and full of craziness!  I have been constantly seeking a peaceful home for some time now.  


Laura mentioned something that struck home with me.  Spend time with our sons doing the things that they enjoy, even if we don't prefer to do those things.  For years I have stayed away from my husband's football and basketball games.  I don't like them and have no interest in them.  My grandmother used to tell me to learn to enjoy them.  Now that I have two sons who will no doubt follow in their father's steps I am seeing a huge benefit in learning to enjoy those things that I have disliked.  Bonding takes place in sharing those moments and I don't want to miss out on that.  As they get older, I will definitely want a relationship that is built on trust to be developed.  I want my sons to come to me as someone that they can talk to, not see me as someone who just did the necessary house work and disciplined them.  


She also mentioned how important it is as boy moms to find other boy moms to connect with.  Having a life-line really helps when the craziness seems too much.


Pray for our sons to have peace in their lives, peace in our homes, and peace in our raising them.  God says that we will find peace if we seek it wholeheartedly.

No comments:

Post a Comment